Monday, November 11, 2019

preview - European Triode Festival - ETF 2019

.


hello kids!  "kids" seems an apt description as we all wait for ETF like children at Christmas....

I have gotten more than a few requests for what is up for ETF, so blog post time it is... and unlike most years, Tim, our host, is dropping info on Buddybook, so I am not spoiling secrets here on HiFi Heroin...

what you see above is a Shearer bass horn... Tim built a pair for the big room... should be a much better match with the space than last year... but installing something this size and mating it with unknown gear is always tricky... no crossover yet?  crossing in the heart of the midrange?  and with a dozen people contributing?  I would not want to be the guy making the final decisions on getting all of this dialed in... except that I am that guy... this should be fun!  I actually cannot wait!


I sent Tim my RCA phenolic MI-9584 drivers... four!.. and the mating double throats... I actually think these drivers have a wonderful midrange... I am totally OK with them having a rolled top end as that is far preferable to me than having extension coupled to diaphragm breakup..... especially when we have Dietmar's tweeters available.... :^)


the amplifier powering all of this will be Xander's.... 833a running zero bias... but bias is adjustable, if we want to play... Slagle is threatening to make an adapter and bring the 357 tubes for this amp, but we will see.. he has about 24 hours to finish them.... 



he built them into military shell crates!  genius... perfect handles... and already designed to accommodate the weight... 


I would be remiss if I did not mention the rest of the team... I always feel better when Stephan has put the gear through its paces on his bench... I love that dude... and he is also bringing the line stage... very versatile... Frank on turntables.. I know we work together very well already... and, truth be told, Tim's "right hand man", Julien, is very much on top of all of this... I was only asked to coordinate a few weeks ago... he was already working on back up plans for the back up plans... so maybe I just bring some Fred McDowell records... or some Kung-Fu Kenny.... 


oh!  and our humble system... it will likely be nearly identical... we can't store anything afterwards this year, so it all has to come back home in the overhead bins of the plane... but I know dave is planning to be able to listen and compare some identical cartridges with different magnets!  neo, alnico, and samarium cobalt... that should be interesting!

peace,
me











1 comment:

  1. looking forwarde to listen to the system again this year.

    see you on Thursday at the ETF19

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive