I guess since I have the metal lathe and the Lowthers up and running, this project has shifted to me, yet I want to be clear the original concept is JJ's. I hinted to the progress in the Emancipation Day entry, and the Brown Truck brought a brown box with the last needed part some 4 X 0.7 mm threaded studs.
I didn't do them exactly to JJ's drawigns trying to keep it as close as possible to a typical doorknob plug. I installed them and put on some tunes as I wired them up. With them in place and not wired the highs were severely truncated but they quickly came back when I connected the tweeter through a 1 mic series cap. I only had enough time to get through 1 album side and I definitely need to play with phasing and crossover frequency but things are looking good!
As a proof of concept, there is a lot of promise and the second run through gave us a lot direction for the MK III variation. The first experiment happened with the use of a single drywall screw last May in Texas at the LSAF and quickly taught us that the physical distance between the voice coils need to be set to the crossover frequency. We also have a few other tricks to try out on the next revision so stay tuned to this work in progress.
ECM - Sounds and Silence Travels With Manfred Eicher (2011) - "Some people have invented products and concepts that have revolutionized the world. Some have devoted their lives to helping others, while some have con...