Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Permalloy!

We took a 50 amp to the LSAF with some 80% nickel outputs on it that will do a nice 2-3W full bandwidth, (amp is -1dB 22-54Khz).  When CV was over a week or so back he just had to hear what the 80% did.  At this point it was past midnight and he was bleary eyed but he encouraged the swap.  I had some 5K:8 bobbins so all we needed to do was stack'em up and clip 'em in.


Interestingly enough, the bobbins I had on hand were for a double stack of lams so we are talking 10 pounds of high nickel and copper.  In the picture above you can see them on top of the big amorphous OT's I was previously running.   I have really only heard amorphous shine when used as outputs on thoriated tubes and I have no use for it in low level situations.  Thoriated + amorphous, seems like the wrong blend of spices but it has proven to consistently work.  The few times I tried 49% on the thoriated tubes (49% is sublime with 3A3's 45's 50's etc) I always went back to the amorphous so I didn't have the highest of hopes for the 80% but shines insisted we push on.

I'll let him comment if he wants but I have to admit I was surprised.  The 80% let so much more music out of the groove in the form of a huge 3D image. We were both beat so we crashed and sprung up the next morning at the crack of 10am and gave it another comparison with the same results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive