Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Charles Lloyd Quartet!!

.

man!  I know I have been slack about writing about my live music experiences, but I had to write about this one... if you are a 60's jazz fan, then likely you already know about this guy... he played with everyone.. Coleman Hawkins, Sonny Rollins, man, just everyone... and he just celebrated his 75th birthday, but looks and plays like a youngster!  no slowing down for this guy... and yes, yet another native Memphian... is it in the water?




the style was very much early Coltrane Quartet... Eric Harland even has that Elvin Jones snap and dynamic exclamation... Jason Moran is the normal piano player, but after winning a MacArthur "genius grant", he had some commitments that made him miss this show... and as much as I would like to have seen him, I am actually floored by Gerald Clayton, who played in his stead... I will definitely seek him out...


oh, and Kirk Whalum sat in on some tunes... more Memphians...

check his website: www.CharlesLloyd.com for tour dates.. if you are a jazz fan, it is do not miss!

peace,
me

1 comment:

  1. Lloyd's latest, a duet album only w/ Jason Moran, is good.. chamber jazz. Caught Gerald Clayton playing w/ his bros & pops @ Dizzy's Coca Cola Club: a hard hitting ol' school hard bop session. Kenny Barron was in the audience, it was a killer night.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive