Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Time for Props....

You gotta give props where they are due... and from my perspective, the props are due when you do anything that breaks out of that old and lame 1980's HiFi mentality. We are still struggling with too many faux rack mount chassis and rectangles with cones wrapped in veneer. So I want to throw out a few props...

Silbatone gets first props - for the Aporia speakers... definitely rule breakers: Manger drivers, back loaded horns, and those wild lenses....



I had the pleasure of hanging out late night in their (really nice, BTW) penthouse suite at the Venetian during CES. Mostly just Dave, their PR man, and myself... just sitting at the bar and playing whatever I felt like from my travel cd case... and I wasn't showing at CES, so this was just music.. and that is what the speakers do so well. They just play music. I think the back-loaded horn is what I like so much.... well, I know that is what I like... a ten foot long horn loaded by an eight inch driver and enough mouth size to avoid that one-note bass... clean, solid bass.. some very early James Brown was strutting... enough to make that suit of a PR man bounce when he walked... :^)

and then there is the construction.... man, you really have to see it and touch it... I cannot imagine the molds and time it took to make these. A true work of art. The mouth is lined with this beautiful hand stitched leather that has been dyed to match the cabinets... and the cabinets themselves have paint that leaves you flat out jealous...



oh... and I forgot.. they also have the sickest collection of vintage gear in the world... so there's that, too...

1 comment:

  1. That collection reminds me of Gallo monomania articles from SP.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive